Japanese Tech Pops in SF This Weekend
The Interactive Summit hosted by J-POP SUMMIT 2016 will introduce upcoming Japanese technology through an exposition, guest speakers and panel discussions
J-POP SUMMIT 2016, one of the world’s biggest Japanese pop culture events will once again celebrate the latest in Japanese tech-innovations through their Interactive Summit on Saturday and Sunday, July 23rd and 24th from 11am - 5pm at Fort Mason Center, located at 2 Marina Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94123. The annual event bridges the informational gap between Japan and the U.S. to explore the Japanese tech scene and what Silicon Valley is currently missing.
The Interactive Summit features two main programs: The Showcase at Festival Pavilion and Sessions at Gallery 308, both held at Fort Mason Center. For full details, please visit http://www.j-pop.com/interactive-summit-2016.
1) Interactive Showcase at Festival Pavilion: Nowhere will this stark difference be more evident than the expo. From human-like robots to wearables for your pet, visitors will get an early look at the best (and zaniest) that Japanese tech has to offer from well known brands and startups alike. Examples include:
• MAZDA – MAZDA showcases the latest models at their extensive exhibition where attendees can play the Sony Entertainment's Gran Turismo Playstation on-site and virtually enjoy driving the MAZDA car in the game MAZDA will also host a special panel partnered with Grand Turismo on Sunday, 7/24 at 2:45pm - 3:35pm at Main Stage in Festival Pavilion. They’ll discuss MAZDA 's design philosophy and challenger spirit, being the only Japanese manufacturer to win the famous Le Mans 24-hour race in France.
• Washlet from TOTO – a smart toilet that redefined how Japan goes to the bathroom.
• Interactive Projection System (IPS) from NEC Solution Innovators –a new projection technology that displays virtual images and content to the real world.
• “interactive shoes hub” from FUJITSU x YAMAHA (and Partners) - interactive shoes hub is the co-creation platform for the Future of Shoes – for example, YAMAHA has applied their specialty, "sound," to this platform to create sound based on data collected from movement of feet.
• Interactive Dog Collar from Inupathy – a dog collar that lights up in colorful patterns to indicate a dog’s emotions, enriching the relationship between owner and pet.
2) Interactive Sessions at Gallery 308
Interactive Sessions at Gallery 308 offers great learning opportunities for innovators. Attendees can get further involved by participating in various events with special guests working within the American and Japanese technology sectors.
Interactive Sessions at Gallery 308 include:
• TOTO/ Washlet Ideathon:
Sunday, 7/24 11:00am - 3:00pm
Pre-registered attendees compete in a group to present brand new ideas about the future lifestyle of the smart bathroom technology. Sponsored by TOTO USA.
• POP Tech Pitch: Startup Pitch Contest:
Saturday, 7/23 Sat 11:00am-1:00pm
Japanese and American startup companies that aim to start a business in the Japanese Market can propose their services or products, and compete for a chance to win a trip to Japan. Co-sponsored by SunBridge Global Ventures, Jetro San Francisco, and Sukiyaki.
• Talk Session Vol.1: Tech x Life x Design ～How Will "Designed IoT" Change Our World?
～7/23 Sat 1:30pm- 2:25pm
Moderator: Ken Miura (CEO, DouZen) Panelists: Shinichi Sakane (CEO, Seven Dreamers), Seiichi Saito (Creative Technical Director, Rhizomatiks), Naoya Edahiro (Industrial Designer), Hideaki Matsui (Google), Ana Arriola (Founder, CEO & Product Designer, Minimalisms Inc.)
• Talk Session Vol.2: “DMM Starter” ～A New Way of Globalizing Japanese Products
～7/23 Sat 2:45pm- 3:15pm
Moderator: Takayuki Suzuki (President, ParadeAll) Panelists: Yusuke Muranaka (Director, DMM.com), Shunsuke Nakamura (CEO, SHIKUMI DESIGN)
• Talk Session Vol.3: Robot x Human // How “They” Will Live with Us;
～7/23 Sat 4:00pm- 4:55pm
Moderator: Noriko Takiguchi (Journalist, Robonews.net) Panelists: Shunsuke Aoki (CEO, Bocco/ Yukai Engineering), Ilya Polyakov (CTO,Kubi / Revolve Robotics) and more.
• Talk Session Vol.4: CRAZY & HIGH-TECH “INTERNET OF THINGS” FROM JAPAN
• The Diversity of SAMURAIMAKERS;
～7/24 Sun 4:00pm- 4:55pm
Moderator: Takashi Homma (CEO, Hom.ma Inc.) Speakers: Joji Yamaguchi (CEO, Inupathy), Takayoshi Ishii (CEO, Asakura Giken), Yuya Kikukawa (CEO, No new folk studio)
For the full list of exhibitors, check it out here.